Lockdown-day 15: Color Psychology
With the rains coming in and graying the skies, I got to thinking about how colors around us effect our moods. Colors influence perceptions that are not obvious, so I did some research on how people get effected by the colors we wear. While many people are aware of the impact of color on their own image and how they look to other people, what you may not be so familiar with is the psychological impact your choice of color can have on others, specially in business. Color has such a subconscious impact that it is important to have an understanding of what it says.
- Establish trust and credibility, then blue is best. It is the safest color of all, universally liked by most men and women – however it has a certain predictability about it and suggests ‘conservative’.
- Appear friendly & approachable – choose lighter colors such as mid tone blues and greens, blue-greens and teal, tan and peachy-orange.
- Be assertive – red, but it can also be threatening to others.
- Get noticed – red, if giving a talk to a large group – but it can be tiring if you are already overtired.
- Appear confident – blue-green is a good business color for women to wear, it suggests high self esteem and confidence, yet is still friendly and approachable.
- Show dependability – green – be aware that it is also a color that is not always liked by others, even though it is the color of emotional balance.
- Appear neutral – grey or beige will do it. This can let your personality shine through, although you may also come across as a fence-sitter, keeping your true feelings to yourself – you may say what the client wants to hear, rather than the truth.
- Professional with authority – dark blue or dark grey, which are the most business-like colors and good for credibility when promoting your business, yet these could be too overpowering and somber for many of your clients in a consultation.
- Shock and inspire your audience – magenta will do this for you.
So next time you prepare for an event, interview or presentation, pick the right color.
Think about it!!